To promote safe & quality bicycling in Warren County, NY.
Bicycling friendly communities offers excellent commuter options, reduces traffic congestion, improves air quality, expands economic development, reduces health related costs, and enhances recreational opportunities; all of which gives residents improved quality of life and non-residents incentive to visit.
OUR ACTION PLAN
To advance this mission, WCSQBO collaborates with New York State, Warren County, local municipalities, the Adirondack/Glens Falls Transportation Council, and other bicycling groups, residents, and visitors to advocate for, and expand safe bicycling opportunities for all bicyclists.
Annual Goals: WCSQBO works actively to:
- Assess the availability of multi-use and off-road bicycling trails; and work collaboratively with all government agencies and departments to improve existing trails and the development/construction of new trails.
- Advocate for the improving conditions of state, county, and local paved driving lanes, the shoulders of existing roads, and the construction of separate bicycle lanes throughout Warren County.
- Promote and encourage a healthy life-style for community members and visitors by offering a variety of safe-bicycling educational programs and experiences for all levels of bicyclists, both on-road and off-road.
- Monitor/evaluate bicycling opportunities within the County; and work with Warren County and A/GFTC to create maps of recommended bicycle routes for both recreational bicyclists and bicycling commuters.
WCSQBO 2017 ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- ROAD IMPROVEMENT:
• Initiated a letter-writing campaign and sent informational packets to state, county & municipal leaders to stress the need for road/bike path improvement, and to request that adequate funds be allocated to specific roads in urgent need of resurfacing/repaving. Several city streets, & many towns, county, state roads were resurfaced. The campaign to resurface State Route 9L will continue in 2018.
MOUNTAIN BIKE PATH AND TRAIL DEVELOPMENT
• In collaboration with Warren County Tourism and Lake George Regional Chamber of Commerce & CVB, materials were designed and distributed to increase awareness of the extensive opportunities for road biking and mountain biking in Warren County.
• Assisted with planning/developing popular single track trails throughout the County; donated $5,000 to the Recreation Department for the construction & expansion of Gurney Lane Single-track Trail System.
SAFETY & EDUCATION
• Promoted safe bicycling via PSA’s, letters, & newspaper articles. Distributed Safe Biking posters & postcards to emphasize safe bicycling practices. Collaborated with Student Coalition, Lake George, & State Work Travel to plan Safe Bicycling Workshops for foreign workers in 2018.
ADVOCACY & PUBLIC RELATIONS
• Rented space for the WCSQBO kiosk at the Adirondack Bike Expo, NY 5-Borough Expo, NY State Legislature’s “Biking in the Adirondacks”, “Climate March”, & “Nature Fest”.
• Reprinted 5,000 “Bike Warren County Cycling Guide and Maps” for distribution.
• Hosted the “4th Annual Harry Elkes Ride” for over 100 bicyclists, including bicyclists from PA, NJ, MD, VT and Canada. All enjoyed a perfect day cycling along scenic North Country lakes.
• Promoted “The Warren County Bicycling Challenge” in conjunction with Warren County Tourism.
• Supported Warren County Bicycling events -“Chrissy’s Ride”,“Ti’ Ride”, “Churney Gurney”, & “Ididaride”, among others.